In the case of the BubbleCPAP, positive pressure is applied to the airways during inspiration and expiration. Pressure is generated through the expired breathing gas being directed into a water container (bubbler). A dip tube (surge chamber) is on the end of the expiratory ventilation tube. The level of the CPAP pressure depends on how deep the end of the cylinder is immersed into the sterile water.
This simple CPAP system was used for the first time in the early 1970s (Gregory 1971) and it has been used worldwide since then. In 1987, it was demonstrated (Avery 1987) that the incidence of BPD (bronchopulmonary dysplasia) can be reduced using BubbleCPAP. As a result, the system presumably became the most frequently used CPAP application by this time at the latest.
It consists only of:
- Air/oxygen blender: medinBLENDER
- Bubble bottle for CPAP pressures of 0 to 9.5 cm H2O
- Breathing circuit: 2-tube system 5801 HAMILTON-H900
- Respiratory gas humidifier HAMILTON-H900
- nCPAP interface: medin Miniflow® with masks and prongs
The mechanisms of action of the CPAP pressure are:
- Holding the airways open through positive pressure
- Increasing the FRC (functional residual capacity)
- Increasing the respiratory drive through improved oxygenation
- Reducing the breathing effort
George A. Gregory, M.D., Joseph A. Kitterman, M.D., Roderic H. Phibbs, M.D., William H. Tooley, M.D., and William K. Hamilton, M.D.; Treatment of the Idiopathic Respiratory-Distress Syndrome with Continuous Positive Airway Pressure; N Engl J Med 1971; 284:1333-1340 June 17, 1971 DOI: 10.1056/NEJM197106172842401
Avery, ME; Tooley, WH; Keller, JB; Hurd, SS; Bryan, MH; Cotton, RB; Epstein, MF; Fitzhardinge, PM; Hansen, CB; Hansen, TN; "Is chronic lung disease in low birth weight infants preventable? A survey of eight centers"; January 1987; Pediatrics. 79 (1): 26–30.
Depending on your country, some features may be available as options, may have different specifications than described on this website, or may not be available. Contact your medin representative for details.