This simple CPAP system was used for the first time in the early 1970s () and it has been used worldwide since then. In 1987, it was demonstrated () that the incidence of BPD (bronchopulmonary dysplasia) can be reduced using BubbleCPAP. As a result, the system presumably became the most frequently used CPAP application by this time at the latest.
It consists only of:
- Air/oxygen blender: medinBLENDER
- Bubble bottle for CPAP pressures of 0 to 9.5 cm H2O
- Breathing circuit: 2-tube system 5801 HAMILTON-H900
- Respiratory gas humidifier HAMILTON-H900
- nCPAP interface: Hamilton nCPAP Generator with masks and prongs